Jewish Voice for Labour (JVL) is an organisation that lends legitimacy to Israel-based antisemitism by giving it a ‘kosher seal of approval’. JVL is led by a handful of vocal Jews from the far-left fringe, who have been accused of using their Jewish identity to render antisemitism acceptable. Its membership includes a large number of non-Jews, many of whom have been accused of antisemitism.
Naomi Wimborne-Idrissi, JVL’s Media Officer, on Friday morning responded thus (above) on LBC when confronted with the fact that Gordon Nardell – Labour’s new in-house counsel on disciplinary matters – thinks the allegations about antisemitism are ‘anti-Labour nonsense’ and supported Livingstone and Walker.
You get the picture …………………………
On Thursday evening Croydon Trade Union Council invited Jonathan Rosenhead (JR – JVL Information Officer) and Pamela Blakelock (PB – a JVL Committee member) to speak on the subject ‘Why we need the Jewish Voice for Labour’. Note the use of the word ‘the’ – as if the Jewish Labour Movement did not exist….
I am entering the event in the Guinness Book of Records in the category “Most lies in a 1.5 hour meeting”. Here’s the evidence (about 30 were there):
PB joined Labour after Corbyn was elected leader in 2015. She spoke first. Here are her lies:
1. ‘The State of Israel has been used as the bastion of both US and British interests. I joined the Jewish Voice for Labour to be able to work against the false propaganda of the Israeli government and promote international rights, including those of the Palestinians.’
2. ‘As soon as Jeremy was in the running for Leader, another campaign began by the Jewish Board of Deputies and JLM, who accused those who supported the rights of the Palestinians of potential antisemitism. Because the Israeli government have a policy to say that all Jews are part of the Jewish nation and therefore criticism of Israel should be seen as criticism of Jews as a whole and therefore antisemitic.’
LIE: The IHRA Definition of Antisemitism specifically says ‘… criticism of Israel similar to that leveled against any other country cannot be regarded as antisemitic’.
3. ‘We have just witnessed … repeated mowing down of Palestinian protesters in Gaza by the IDF using dum-dum bullets’
4. ‘So … We’ve seen the coming together of the right wing of the Labour Party and the pro-Israel Lobby, connected with the Israeli Embassy, the BoD, the JLC and the JLM. The JLM is affiliated to the WZO … They believe that Israel is at the centre of Jewish identity. I believe that their aim is to destroy support for the Palestinians to have a state thereby increasing the drive to another ME War. This was exposed by an Al Jazeera documentary.‘
Several LIES HERE …. Here was the ‘al Jazeera documentary’ ……..
5. ‘So this whole campaign has been running since Jeremy was elected and they aim to rename antizionism as antisemitism….. I believe that the World Zionist Organisation’s aim is to destroy support for the Palestinians to have a state and thereby increasingly to drive to another Middle East War .…. ‘
Three LIES here……………
4. ‘So this campaign to label those who support the Palestinians as antisemitic has resulted in high profile antiracist comrades being falsely abused of antisemitism.’
5. ‘There is racism from the government of Israel … looking down on Black Jews – not thinking black Jews are really Jews .. the Netanyahu government is very racist against the Palestinians.’
6. ‘Jews have been led into a terrible tragic trap through the establishment of Israel … Israel was supposed to be a safe place, it’s the most militarised state … expelled 750,000 Palestinians, hatred of the surrounding Arab states .. Have become oppressors in their own turn …’
Four LIES here ……..
7. ‘Livingstone wouldn’t have been resigned or been disciplined if there hadn’t been this whole false accusation atmosphere coming along’
8. ‘The remarks Livingstone said about the history of Zionism are true.’ (Reminder: ‘Hitler supported Zionism’ was what he said).
9. In response to a question, she said that all the 750,000 Arab refugees in 1948 were expelled by Israel. She recommended this book which she had on the desk ….
Over to JR. Interestingly he has thrown in the white towel on his claim that the IHRA only adopted the bland and meaningless first 39 words of the Definition and not the examples. But he is still insisting that Labour only adopted the first 39 words (they did adopt it but then changed their mind).
10. ‘I celebrated all Israel’s military victories … In 1967 I waited for them to make their peace with the Palestinians which of course never happened. They extended their demands.’
LIE – Israel offered back all the land it won in exchange for recognition and peace (Khartoum Agreement). It was rebuffed.
11. ‘Antisemitism was not found in the Arab world until the creation of Israel.’
12. ‘Antisemitism is much less in the Labour Party than elsewhere ‘
13. ‘Many Jewish people are unnecessarily scared. They think Labour is a nest of antisemites. It’s the result of unbalanced propaganda. There are two intersecting stories: Preventing the election of JC and preventing attacks on Israel. ‘
Four LIES here.
14. ‘The word ‘Zionist’ would possibly be banned …’ (referring to what the Board of Deputies supposedly wants!”)
Red Ted Knight was in the audience. He said he’s never experienced any antisemitism in Labour. ‘It’s the Establishment that is attacking Corbyn.’
The piece de resistance was when Rosenhead accused me of having called him a kapo …………….
I said in no uncertain terms that this was a lie.
But later I thought: What do we expect from JVL? And from someone who blames Jews for the Holocaust?
Postscript: Until now I had not seen Rosenhead’s defence for blaming Jews for the Holocaust. He blames ‘Zionist leaders’ for the failure to take up the Dominican Republic’s ‘offer’ during the Evian Conference to take 100,000 Jews from Europe. This is a lie. The truth is here. In support of his lie, Rosenhead adduces a 1938 quote from Ben Gurion (If I knew that it was possible to save all the[Jewish] children of Germany by transporting them to England, and only half by transferring them to the Land of Israel, I would choose the latter, for before us lies not only the numbers of these children but the historical reckoning of the people of Israel).
In our deconstruction of Suarez’s book, we unpack the wilful misinterpretation of this quote (page 9). Most importantly in December 1938 Ben Gurion did not know about the impending Holocaust that was to come. He did not know that Jewish children who could not escape from Occupied Europe would lose their lives. Ben Gurion used the word ‘save’, but to interpret this as the saving of life is entirely wrong.